Do I need my golf club’s custom fitted? Do I need longer or shorter clubs? Or maybe fatter or thinner grips? Maybe 2 degrees upright or a little flat? What loft do I need on my driver? What shaft? Graphite or steel? Why do I get so much spin on the ball? It’s obviously a minefield and I am going to try to help you as much as I can.
My name is John Strode; I have been a PGA qualified l for 22 years and have been in golf retail for 29 years. I employ only like minded staff, many of whom are also golf professionals. We pride ourselves on selecting equipment that is right for your game. Over the years I have seen all sorts of shapes and sizes playing golf and obviously not all clubs will suit everyone.
Why Custom Fit?
These are the two questions I’m always asked
Pretty much all golfers are quickly becoming aware of the benefits of using custom golf clubs, when compared to 'off the shelf' golf equipment, which is almost always designed and made to suit 'Mr/Mrs Average', in age, sex, stature, and ability
An experienced club fitter is to golf equipment what a professional teacher is to the golf swing. Technology today enables a fitter to select the components that will most accurately assist you in making the most of your swing. Golf swings are as individually different as fingerprints. To be properly fitted, one cannot expect to purchase ready-made clubs off the rack.
For as long as the game has been played, golfers have been looking for the 'right' clubs. Not a specific club design, but a perfectly fitted set of golf clubs that looks and feels good to each individual player, and allows him or her to hit their best shots.
‘For a set of golf clubs to 'fit' a golfer, the following have to be assessed:’
- Club Length, to optimise distance and control
- Shaft Type, to be matched to your swing speed and tempo
- Loft and Lie, to maximise distance and trajectory
- Grip Size, to encourage the proper grip pressure throughout the swing
You cannot fail to benefit from using perfectly-matched custom golf clubs. Because they are built to meet your personal specifications, your strengths are exaggerated and your mistakes reduced. Solutions can be found for every type of problem, and the benefits are not limited to certain players - everyone is aided by having clubs custom-fitted, including:
- Professionals who rely on equipment specifically honed to their own game. The tiniest adjustment can mean everything to these people who need to know that, when under pressure, they are using the best equipment available. All professionals know that to play to their best, they must use the best, which is why every professional has custom-fit clubs
- Amateur Players of greater ability level who are seeking to shave those last few shots off their handicaps. As the standard of their game increases, so does the importance of using correct equipment; talented players should know that they are putting themselves at a disadvantage if they are using clubs manufactured for someone else
- Female Players who are not presented with a wide choice of equipment in a typical golf shop. So often let down by major golf outlets, custom-fitting gives to women an enormous choice of clubs with so many variable factors
- Senior Players who are seeking to regain some lost distance. Custom fitting is often the only solution to allow this group of golfers to keep the distance they used to hit without having to resort to longer clubs which cost them accuracy
- Junior Players that do not fit the standard size ranges of mass-produced junior clubs. Although they are at a time in their lives when they are growing most, the general choice faced by juniors is normally a disappointing range of 'junior' sized clubs and an equally small range in 'ladies' sizes. Golfers improve most quickly at a young age so, during this period, it is crucial that the right equipment be used
- Beginners looking to start out on the 'right foot', by using properly fitted equipment. Habits developed at an early stage to combat problems with mass-produced clubs can prove very difficult to change later on, so custom-fit clubs are also beneficial to new golfers